Fwd: What is the problem with ports PR reaction delays?

Aryeh Friedman aryeh.friedman at gmail.com
Sat Jan 25 08:21:02 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 3:11 AM, Yuri <yuri at rawbw.com> wrote:

> On 01/24/2014 20:16, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>
>> (maybe there is some great ports system that I'm not aware of that makes
>> this all as easy github, but I somehow doubt that.)
>>

> github itself is closed source, but 95% of its functionality is based on
> git which is open. One only needs to invoke 3-4 git operations to support
> what it does on the website side. Register on the site, fork the project
> under user's login, submit a pull request, merge a fork's branch to the
> main branch. All these are basically git commands. Without the glossiness
> of github, this is not that large of a project. Submitters will do the rest
> through git.
>
> I think, instead of tediously going through the PRs by hand, it is wiser
> to set up some system like this.

This creates a "n+1" problem (something that jails are not advanced enough
to completely solve but cloud computing can).... just for definitional
shake a n+1 problem is based on the observation for all computer
professionals (and hobbyists)  always need at least one more "machine" then
they currently have (this plus some techincal issues with OpenStack
[Grizzly don't know if Havana fixes them]) is/was the primary motivator
behind petitecloud in the first place... to that end any such system would
need to set up and tare down VM's quickly as well keep a large number of
them off line but for ready running... as far as testing goes the general
method suggested in the paper I gave and eleberated in the Aegis user guide
is a good starting place (it is especially good about making sure bugs stay
fixed).