Is it Ok to write files into ${STAGEDIR}/${PREFIX} on "build" stage?

Lev Serebryakov lev at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jan 19 20:04:06 UTC 2014

Hello, Ports.

  I'm writing port, which has complex, multi-stage build. In the middle ofg
 build some files should be installed into some directory with exactly same
 structure, as final result -- some ${TEMPROOT}/${PREFIX}. I could create
 special place for files, and in "do-install" simple do "tar -cf - -C
 ${TEMPROOT} . | tar -xf - -C ${STAGEDIR}" -- it will be correct install to
 stage dir for this port. But it looks strange -- to have two copies of all
 final files.

   Now I'm using ${STAGEDIR}/${PREFIX} instead of ${TEMPROOT}/${PREFIX} and
  it works nicely -- do-install: becomes no-op, everything is in-place and
  port doesn't spent another 250MiB of disk place.

   But, maybe, I don't something significant flaw in this approach and it is
  bad idea?

--
// Black Lion AKA Lev Serebryakov <lev at FreeBSD.org>