FreeBSD Port: puppet-3.4.2_2

Paweł Tomulik ptomulik at meil.pw.edu.pl
Sun Jan 19 14:17:18 UTC 2014

Hi,

I was working a little bit with puppet sources and wrote few modules for
it. At some point I started wondering why do you patch certain
freebsd-specific parts of puppet by your own instead of create pull
request to upstream (https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppet). I mainly
think about providers, for example:
http://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/sysutils/puppet/files/patch-demote_ports_provider?revision=300897&view=markup.
Is there any reason for this? I have a master-slave setup, master is
Debian, slave is FreeBSD, they have installed same version of puppet and
I see difference in provider's code. It's quite strange IMHO.

Perhaps you  know that puppetlabs developers think about separating
providers (and maybe few other pieces of code) from core, and they wish
to turn them into independent modules:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/puppet-dev/4y9ZvbbkKBs. Perhaps
it's good point to have some of your patches applied to upstream project
before they start this tiering process? I mean, the modules that are
currently in puppet core may be subject to some pluginsync mechanism in
the future and your patches may be then overwritten at runtime by the
pluginsync mechanism.

Regards!

--
Pawel Tomulik