Maximizing the use of binary packages and minimizing building packages

Matt Reimer mattjreimer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 17:46:12 UTC 2014

I'd like to switch from installing and upgrading our packages using
portmaster/portupgrade to using pkg + binary packages from the ports
cluster as much as possible.

I understand that the ports cluster builds its packages using default
options, but some of our packages we need built with custom options (e.g.
enable mysql for postfix).

Is there a tool that can look at /var/db/ports/foo/options and tell which
options differ from the default options? Then I could decide whether I can
live with the defaults (and therefore use the binary package), or whether
to pkg-lock that package and update it by hand using portmaster.

Or is there a better way to handle this situation, where I want to use
binary packages where possible and only build when necessary?

Thanks for your help.

Matt