VirtualBox 4.3.6 + FreeBSD 10 + clang, [SUCCESS]

Craig Rodrigues rodrigc at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jan 12 02:44:51 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 1:09 PM, Bernhard Fröhlich <decke at bluelife.at>wrote:

> I still think this is the wrong approach and I won't maintain all those
> clang patches in the official port. The problem that I see is that we are
> diverging from upstream vbox too much and end up maintaining a very special
> usecase and a few dozen patches on our own. We would be the only one to
> build with clang so with every release we need to update our patches and
> add more to keep it building with clang. This will need someone that want's
> to do it for the next few years.
>
> Since the beginning of vbox on FreeBSD we tried to stay close to upstream
> sources and push patches to upstream first. This has worked good for us and
> has created a good relationship to them.
>
> So we have 3 options:
>
> - I step down and wish you all the best. There are a few smart people
> working on vbox now so it should not be an issue for the project.
>
> - Someone clones the vbox ports and maintains the clang version in the
> portstree.
>
> - We try to push as many patches upstream and nag them until they accept
> them. This might also interest some Mac OS X people.
>
> I will talk to the vbox developers to find out what they think of clang
> and if someone is working on updating the recompiler from qemu which would
> make a full clang build possible.

Well I hope that you don't have to leave the maintainership of the port.
VirtualBox has a lot
of dependencies, and it is very hard to keep everything on track and
working, so I appreciate your efforts.
I hope that VirtualBox upstream can accept our patches.

--
Craig