Advice about /usr/ports/math/gmp

Matthew Rezny mrezny at hexaneinc.com
Tue Jan 7 03:25:35 UTC 2014

On Tue, 07 Jan 2014 03:11:28 +0100
John Marino <freebsd.contact at marino.st> wrote:

> On 1/7/2014 01:02, Matthew Rezny wrote:
> >> We are about to release GMP 5.2.
> >>
> >> We have been forced to add three FreeBSD-related items to the
> >> releases notes:
> >>
> >>   * This release will not work on FreeBSD/amd64 7.x, 8.x or 9
> >> series before 9.3 with a Haswell CPU or any other CPU which
> >> supports the BMI2 instructions.  The reason is that the FreeBSD m4
> >> command is not correctly implemented.  (Workaround: Use an older
> >> GMP release, or install GNU m4 from /usr/ports and tell GMP to use
> >> it.)
> >>
> >>   * This release will not work on FreeBSD/amd64 before version 10
> >> using the 32-bit ABI.  The reason is broken limits.h and broken
> >> dynamic linking.  (Workaround: Use an older GMP release if using
> >> the 32-bit ABI on these FreeBSD releases is important.)
> >>
> >>   * This release will not work on FreeBSD/amd64 10.0 using the
> >> 32-bit ABI.  The reason is bugs in the compiler 'clang'.
> >> (Workaround: Compiling gcc from /usr/ports might work, except that
> >> gcc depends on GMP; we have not been able to test that workaround
> >> since FreeBSD/i386 10.0 does not work for us under KVM or Xen.)
> >>
> >> The first item is a show-stopper.  It would be possible to
> >> implement a workaround in GMP.  We choose not to do that since (1)
> >> we adviced the FreeBSD project two years ago the m4 bug, and
> >> FreeBSD chose to make 4 releases without fixing m4, and (2) the
> >> fix is ugly, and (3) our use of m4 which triggers the bug is
> >> actually part of a workaround for a broken assembler (to much
> >> complexity to maintain workarounds for workarounds).
> >>
> >> The second item should not affect /usr/ports builds since they
> >> would use the default 64-bit ABI on amd64 machines.
> >>
> >> The third item is a show-stopper until clang is fixed.  We have not
> >> been able to isolate this problem due to lack of time and due to a
> >> deeply malfunctioning filesystem of FreeBSD/i386 under KVM and
> >> Xen+NetBSD.  We don't have any more information about these bugs.
> >>

> >> We do not plan to implement workarounds for the above bugs for GMP
> >> 5.2.x for any x.  I would advice that you stick with GMP 5.1.3.
> >>

> >> Torbjörn
> >> Please encrypt, key id 0xC8601622
> >
> > So, being that you have provided essentially zero information on the
> > alleged bugs, what is the advice you are purporting to provide? The
> > subject is "advice about gmp" but the only thing I see that would
> > qualify as advice is "don't upgrade".
> >
> > I do have a bit of advice for you: learn the difference between the
> > words advise (verb) and advice (noun). Twice in the body you use
> > advice where only advise makes sense. Advice is what you give,
> > advise is the process of giving it. Being that advice is a noun,
> > adviced isn't even a valid word. Yet another related word is
> > advisory, which means to provide notification but not necessary
> > advice. The subject line would be congruent with the content if it
> > were "advisory about gmp".
> >
> > Yes this reply is a total waste of time as was the original.
> [...]

I'm aware of the applicable PR only because Tijl mentioned it later in
the thread. It is actually the PR that earned Torbjörn the troll label
in my mind. Specifically this:
"I was about to fix it, but found that the license of the code in
question was unacceptable to me. I only contribute to Free Software,
not to Open Source code bearing a license analogous to a law system
that permits people to sell themselves as slaves."

From his email, he is simply unhelpful. Essentially just "you're
different from GNU/Linux so you're broken but I won't bother to say
how". Great, so helpful. It's when I get to the PR and see the bit of
"I could fix it but I won't because you use the wrong license" that my
troll alarm goes off. I could go on about how hypocritical it is to
claim our m4 isn't Free Software when his project uses a far more
onerous and vastly less-free license, but I'd just be preaching to the
choir. Rather than call him out on the license crap, I opted to take a
shortcut and simply troll him back with a bit of the ol' Learn2English.