Maximizing the use of binary packages and minimizing building packages

Chad Perrin code at apotheon.net
Sun Feb 9 22:18:51 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 11:16:52PM +0000, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On 14/01/2014 19:35, Matt Reimer wrote:
> > That's good news. What should I watch for in order to know when Really
> > Soon Now becomes Now?
> >

> The release of pkg-1.3.x

After most of a month (yes, I know that's not all that long), as I
upgrade Mumble from pkgng to portmaster install to avoid having Qt
binary package libs destroy X11 functionality with KMS again and watch
the process destroy my browser instead, I wonder . . .

Do you have any estimate on how many months Real Soon Now might mean?  I
swear I won't hold you to a deadline; I would rather it be done right
than done quickly.  I'm just interested in having something like an
order-of-magnitude guesstimate for how far in the future Real Soon Now
will happen.