Missing libintl.so.9

Matthew Seaman matthew at freebsd.org
Mon Dec 1 12:28:44 UTC 2014

On 12/01/14 11:30, Gerard Seibert wrote:
> I just tried to update my system and now it it bonked. I followed the
> directions for "gettext"; however, I cannot reinstall it. I keep
> receiving an error message that "libintl.s0.9" not found. It is on my
> system, I checked. It is in "/usr/local/lib". So what is the problem?
> I am afraid to shut the system down because I am not sure if it will
> restart.

I just ran into this myself.  A fix I've found is:

    pkg install -f gettext-runtime

Or you can manually create the symbolic link --

   cd /usr/local/lib
   ln -s libintl.so.8 libintl.so.9

The libintl files in /usr/local/lib should look like this:

# ls -la libintl.*
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  97760 Nov 30 03:48 libintl.a
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel     16 Nov 30 03:48 libintl.so@ ->
libintl.so.8.1.2
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel     16 Nov 30 03:48 libintl.so.8@ ->
libintl.so.8.1.2
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  50998 Nov 30 03:48 libintl.so.8.1.2
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel     12 Nov 30 03:48 libintl.so.9@ -> libintl.so.8

That's what the package should have created, and what pkg(8) thinks has
been installed.  It's a pkg bug that it manages to record incorrect
information about what was actually written to the filesystem --
possibly due to the target of the symlink (libintl.so.8) itself being a
symlink to the actual libintl.so.8.1.2 file.

Note that the gettext port was recently split into gettext-runtime and
gettext-tools with plain 'gettext' becoming a meta-port that installs
those two.  Recently as in 'last weekend', and you need packages built
since that split to see this. ie. it won't hit the FreeBSD pkg repos
until next weekend.  It's people with private repos and possibly people
installing from ports that are affected as yet.

	Cheers,

	Matthew