[9.2-STABLE/CLANG 3.3|3.4] x11/kdelibs4

Dimitry Andric dim at FreeBSD.org
Sun Apr 20 18:40:22 UTC 2014

On 20 Apr 2014, at 17:47, O. Hartmann <ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 20:25:51 +0200
> Dimitry Andric <dim at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>> On 19 Apr 2014, at 19:30, O. Hartmann <ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

>>> what compiler does your copy use as default? I use CLANG 3.3/3.4
>>
>> Just the version of clang that comes with stable/9 r264647, e.g.:
>>
>> FreeBSD clang version 3.4 (tags/RELEASE_34/final 197956) 20140216
>>
>> Are you using a port version of clang to build kdelibs4, by any chance?
>>
>> -Dimitry
>>

> I successfully built, as a workaround, the port x11/kdelibs4 with gcc 4.7 (port lang/gcc).

So it didn't work with lang/clang34 or the base version of clang either?
And with a similar type of error?

> The box in question is a Dell Latitude E6510 notebook with only 4 GB of RAM, could this
> be the issue? The system very often starts swapping. Even my oldstyle E8400 workstation
> with only 8 GB (most recent 11.0-CURRENT) starts swapping very often and recently, I saw
> musterious compiler erros and stopping compiling processes never seen bevor. Restarting
> the failed portbuild most often finish successfully.

There were some postings recently, about newer versions of FreeBSD being
supposedly more "swappy", see e.g.:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2014-April/thread.html#78361

I have no idea if this is really substantiated with evidence, or just a
feeling, though. :)

In any case, when you are experiencing mysterious compiler errors, and
your system is heavily exercising RAM and swap, it is always a good idea
to do a full hardware diagnostics test.

For your RAM, you can use memtest86+, and since you have a Dell, you can
use their diagnostics program to test other parts of the machine.

-Dimitry