pkg add: howto force the installation of a binary package?

O. Hartmann ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Sat Apr 12 16:37:40 UTC 2014

On Sat, 12 Apr 2014 18:01:44 +0200
Lars Engels <lars.engels at 0x20.net> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 12, 2014 at 05:24:12PM +0200, O. Hartmann wrote:
> >
> > Since this ever-fragile FreeBSD port editors/libreoffice fails on 11-CURRENT and
> > 9.2-STABLE to compile (it fails on fours systems running the named flavours of OS), I
> > try to install the binary package via pkg add. But, very funny, I receive always the
> > error:
> >
> > pkg: Missing dependency matching Origin: 'net/openldap24-client' Version: '2.4.39'
> >
> > The port in question is already installed, but I have
> >
> > pkg info -ox openldap
> > openldap-sasl-client-2.4.39 net/openldap24-sasl-client
> >
> > This is fun. I tried to find the magical "force" knob in pkg-add to override such
> > (insane) restrictions, but I didn't find any.
> >
> > Is there a regular way to install the port by force without checking for the
> > dependency? It seems that pkgng allows only installations of ports that do not dare
> > to have different options than the standard defined in the binary package
> > expectations?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your suggestions,
> >
> > Oliver
> >
> > P.S. Please CC me.
>
> From pkg-add(8)
>
>      -M  Force the installation of the package with missing dependencies.

Strange, on

FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT #0 r264364: Sat Apr 12 10:34:56 CEST 2014 amd64

I get this:

root at thor: [All] man pkg-add
PKG-ADD(8)              FreeBSD System Manager's Manual             PKG-ADD(8)

NAME
     pkg add -- Registers a package and installs it on the system

SYNOPSIS
     pkg add [-IAfq] pkg-name ...
     pkg add [-IAfq] <protocol>://<path>/<pkg-name> ...

DESCRIPTION
     pkg add installs packages from either a local source or a remote one.

     When installing from a remote source you need to specify the protocol to
     use when fetching the package.

     Currently supported protocols are FTP, HTTP and HTTPS.

     Otherwise, pkg add will read the file named on the command line.

     If this is a regular file, and the package to be installed has unmet
     dependencies, pkg add will search the directory containing pkg-name for
     suitable pkg archive files to fulfill those dependencies.  If pkg-name is
     literally - then it will read the package data from stdin.  pkg add will
     automatically detect and unpack most common compression formats based on
     the content of the data stream it reads, ignoring any extension the file-
     name may have.

     If this involves reading from a pipe (including stdin), fifo, socket or
     some other non-regular form of input stream then pkg add will immediately
     emit an error if pkg-name has unmet dependencies.

OPTIONS
     The following options are supported by pkg add:

     -I  If any installation scripts (pre-install or post-install) exist for
         given packages, do not execute them.

     -A  Mark the installed packages as orphan.  Will be automatically removed
         if no other packages depend on them.  For more information please
         refer to pkg-autoremove(8)

     -f  Force the reinstallation of the package if already installed.

     -q  Force quiet output.

ENVIRONMENT
     The following environment variables affect the execution of pkg add.  See
     pkg.conf(5) for further description.

     ASSUME_ALWAYS_YES

     HANDLE_RC_SCRIPTS

     PKG_DBDIR

FILES
     See pkg.conf(5).

SEE ALSO
     pkg.conf(5), pkg(8), pkg-annotate(8), pkg-audit(8), pkg-autoremove(8),
     pkg-backup(8), pkg-check(8), pkg-clean(8), pkg-config(8), pkg-convert(8),
     pkg-create(8), pkg-delete(8), pkg-fetch(8), pkg-info(8), pkg-install(8),
     pkg-lock(8), pkg-query(8), pkg-register(8), pkg-repo(8), pkg-rquery(8),
     pkg-search(8), pkg-set(8), pkg-shell(8), pkg-shlib(8), pkg-stats(8),
     pkg-update(8), pkg-updating(8), pkg-upgrade(8), pkg-version(8),
     pkg-which(8)

FreeBSD 11.0                  September 22, 2013                  FreeBSD 11.0