Repair pkgng

Scot Hetzel swhetzel at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 13:07:56 UTC 2014

On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 5:45 AM, Melvyn Sopacua <melvyn at magemana.nl> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> On Wed, 9 Apr 2014, John Marino wrote:
>
>>> This still doesn't make sense. Distfiles are of no concern to binary
>>> packages, so why would I continue to clutter /var/db/pkg with a large
>>> tree of directories that is then duplicated to /var/db/ports?
>>> What problem in portmaster or the options framework was solved by moving
>>> this?
>>

>> If the portmaster-created "distfiles" bother you, stop using portmaster,
>> perhaps?  It seems superfluous to me anyway; I don't get why people feel
>> they need it with pkg.
>

> I already did a while back. Yet, it's still the recommended tool in the
> handbook if I'm not mistaken. FreeBSD has also always adhered to a
> sensible hier(7), which portmaster is now breaking.
>

>> IFAIK, options has always been in /var/db/ports, this is not new.  It
>> didn't get moved.
>

> Correct. Portmaster moved it's distfiles file.

Portmaster is not breaking hier(7).

Portmaster was originally designed to use the old pkg tools
(pkg_install, ...), it has ALWAYS placed it's files
(PM_UPGRADE_DONE_FLAG, +IGNOREME, distfiles) in
/var/db/pkg/${PKGNAME}.

The options framework is relatively new in regards to portmaster, as
portmaster was created before the options framework existed.

--
DISCLAIMER:

No electrons were maimed while sending this message. Only slightly bruised.