FreeBSD ports which are currently scheduled for deletion

Christian Weisgerber naddy at mips.inka.de
Wed Apr 9 17:56:36 UTC 2014

On 2014-04-08, Tijl Coosemans <tijl at coosemans.org> wrote:

> For xmms there's xmms2, audacious and numerous other multimedia players.

XMMS works well for what it does, is lightweight by today's standards,
and has survived most of its sucessors.  The only alternative is
Audacious, which has much heavier dependencies.  Oh, and XMMS can
play audio CDs.  This is broken in Audacious, but apparently nobody
cares.  I guess Audacious is unmaintained and should be deleted.

> Then, once it is reasonable to assume that a port is unused it is first
> marked deprecated which gives users some time to step forward.

There seems to be the general problem, seen again and again, that
users only learn of a port's deprecation status when it is finally
removed and not in the preceding grace period.

Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          naddy at mips.inka.de