print/hpijs + new cups + foomatic not working with hpijs-pcl3e printer.

Naram Qashat cyberbotx at cyberbotx.com
Wed Apr 9 03:33:02 UTC 2014

On 04/08/14 07:08, Boris Samorodov wrote:
> 08.04.2014 13:55, Patrick Lamaiziere пишет:
>> Le Tue, 8 Apr 2014 14:05:00 +1000,
>> Robert Backhaus <robbak at robbak.com> a écrit :
>>
>>>   I've got a printing problem with the new cups.
>>
>> I've got a similar problem with cups 1.7 and a Lexmark T640
>> using the foomatic filters. I've to use Generic Postcript printer to
>> make it works again.
>>
>> That worked fine with cups 1.5. With 1.7 the printer prints nothing.
>> I guess something is broken.
>
> Anything suspicious at /var/log/messages, /var/log/cups/*?
> OS version and which cups / foomatic ports are installed?

Something that I think needs to be brought up. It appears that since CUPS 1.6.x,
cups-filters is required for it to work with most printers. Since we are now on
1.7.1, that means that print/cups-filters should also be installed. I ran into
the same problem with my printer after the upgrade and installing cups-filters
fixed it. I even put in an update for print/cups-filters just yesterday (trying
to take over maintainership of it). I don't know if this means that
print/cups-filters should be made into a libdepends on cups-base or not. My gut
feeling is that it probably should, though, if CUPS is now "useless" without it.

Thanks,
Naram Qashat