Suggestion for port maintainers

John Marino freebsd.contact at marino.st
Tue Apr 8 17:21:56 UTC 2014

On 4/8/2014 16:30, Dave Duchscher wrote:
> Port Maintainers,
>
> Just a suggestion: If you are going to remove an option from your
> port, it would be nice if you would make the port break when that
> option is used.  We build our own packages with custom options and
> this little issue just caused some issues for us.  We can’t watch
> updates to every port we build and we just got bit by the option
> APACHE being removed from lang/php5 port.

However, it is totally within your control have a script monitor every
port that you build for changes in options.  You could even run it as a
poudriere hook.

There are hundreds of maintainers; you aren't going to reach all of them
even if they all *all* agree with this suggestion.  (I don't think I do.
 How long do I have to keep this non-option broken?  1 month?  1 year?
forever?  too much trouble.)

John