print/hpijs + new cups + foomatic not working with hpijs-pcl3e printer.

Robert Backhaus robbak at robbak.com
Tue Apr 8 04:05:01 UTC 2014

 I've got a printing problem with the new cups. A brother laser using
Foomatic/hpijs-pcl5e, is printing '%PDF-1.3' instead of the required page.
Examining the log file, It is trying to print it using texttops, before
handing that to ghostscript, never detecting that it was PDF.
Interestingly, if i print from libreoffice with .pdf print format enabled,
I get "%PDF-1.4" with "%¿" as the next line.
If I print without it, so it sends postscript, I get %PDF-1.3", again, with
"%¿" on the next line. So it seems like it is first converting the print
document to .pdf, but not detecting that it is pdf for the next step.
Hmm, another clue - I have a HP inkjet using Foomatic/hpijs, and it is
working OK, with both pdf and ps input. But the hpijs-pcl5e Brother is
failing. So the Hp inkjet is using a .ppd from the hpijs port, and the
brother is using the ppd from the foomatic-db port.

All the print ports are up to date.

I think the bit that is messing up is the foomatic filter, which, if I
understand it, decides what filters to put the file through. But the hpijs
printer is working fine, while the hpijs-pcl5e  one is messing up, even
though they come from the same port. I don't understand the difference, so
I am stuck working out where it is going wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.