pkgng abilities (was: pkgng vs. portupgrade reporting ports outdated)

Reko Turja reko.turja at liukuma.net
Sat Apr 5 12:15:52 UTC 2014

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Huff

> OK, Obi-wan - what's the replacement for:

> a) "portsclean" with the C, D (single and double), and L
> options?  (Use no more than two commands.)
> b) "pkg_sort" ?
>
> With these, I will cheerfully delete portupgrade.

portupgrade != pkg_old

Actually, for me portupgrade with pkgng is getting close the ideal solution,
made yesterday the

portsnap fetch upgrade
portversion -v | grep -v '='
portupgrade -rf php5

dance and got the whole php rebuild from source with one minor hitch. Due
the way extensions.ini is "rebuilt" every php installation I got wrong
module order and couple of modules got signal 11's when trying to rebuild.
After manually correcting extensions.ini order I just portupgrade -f'd the 2
failed packages in dependency order, this time without any problems. pkgng
pretty nicely built just the stuff that needed rebuild, not half the
installed ports. I'm already running php in cgi mode, so no mod for apache
was needed (and due the recent improvement, the said mod was not
autoinstalled to my httpd.conf either).

-Reko