Updating less-than-everything with poudriere & pkgng

J David j.david.lists at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 15:05:50 UTC 2014

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 6:41 AM, Mathieu Arnold <mat at freebsd.org> wrote:
> +--On 1 avril 2014 11:18:05 -0400 J David <j.david.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> | from perl-5.12.3.4_5a to 5.12.3.4_5a1.
>
> Perl 5.12 has been removed about a month and half ago, so, if you were
> still using it, it's going to be a pain, you should upgrade to 5.16.

Sorry, the version numbers 1.2.3 and 12.3.4_5 were chosen as examples,
not meant to be taken literally.

> Sure, instead of using bulk -a or bulk -f portlist, just use bulk
> category/foobar, it'll rebuild only the package you asked for, and its
> dependencies.

This will cause disaster.  If you do this to rebuild foobar, poudriere
will also update perl.  Then, when you install the fixed foobar, pkg
will intall the updated perl.  Then the unrelated package bazqux you
didn't rebuild but which also depends on perl and isn't compatible
with the new version silently breaks.  And the first you will hear
about it is when all the bazqux users from the third floor show up at
the door to your office with torches and pitchforks.

What we are looking to do is rebuild only foobar and the things that
depend on foobar, NOT the things that foobar depends on.

Thanks!