portmaster -- preserving added files?

Scot Hetzel swhetzel at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 18:25:58 UTC 2013

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 11:35 AM, Gary Aitken <freebsd at dreamchaser.org> wrote:
> Is portmaster supposed to retain files which it did not install when updating /
> reinstalling a port?
>
> For example, jave extensions are normally installed by placing a jar file in
>   /usr/local/openjdk6/jre/lib/ext/
>
> When reinstalling, these are wiped out.
> At least I think that's what happened when I reinstalled.
>
> Seems like they should be (at least optionally) retained?

The problem is not with portmaster, as it runs the pkg or pkg_install
commands to remove the port.  If you have files that are missing after
uninstalling a port, then you'll need to check what that port is
doing.  Most likely the port has a @dirrm instead of an @dirrmtry for
that directory in it's pkg-plist file.

I had a look at the java/openjdk6/Makefile, and it creates the list of
directories to remove with @dirrm instead of @dirrmtry.  So it looks
like the issue is with java/openjdk6 removing that directory.

Scot

Scot