How do I "upgrade" from deprecated KNOBS?

Scot Hetzel swhetzel at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 00:46:37 UTC 2013

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 6:04 PM, John Marshall
<john.marshall at riverwillow.com.au> wrote:
> I upgraded ports on a server this morning and saw the following...
>
>   ===>>> Waiting on fetch & checksum for ports-mgmt/portmaster <<<===
>   WITHOUT_X11 is deprecated use X11 option instead
>

>   WITHOUT_X11 is deprecated use X11 option instead
>   ===>  License BSD accepted by the user
>
> My guess is that this means that my use of the global WITHOUT_X11 KNOB
> in make.conf is now deprecated but the warning message does not give me
> any clue as to what to do about it.  It says, "Use the X11 option
> instead".  OK.  How do I do that?  A reference or example in the warning
> message would be helpful.  For example:
>
>  - [see Handbook Chapter n]; or
>  - [use <new_syntax>_X11 instead]
>
> Any pointers?
>

>From Mk/bsd.options.mk

46# These variables can be used in make.conf to configure options. They are
47# processed in the order listed below, i.e. later variables override
the effects
48# of previous variables. Options saved using the options dialog are processed
49# right before OPTIONS_SET_FORCE. When building a port a dialog to configure
50# options will only appear if there are new options, i.e. options
which have not
51# been configured before either using the option dialog in a previous build or
52# using the variables below. You can force the dialog to appear by running
53# "make config".
54#
55# OPTIONS_SET - List of options to enable for all ports.
56# OPTIONS_UNSET - List of options to disable for all ports.
57# ${OPTIONS_NAME}_SET - List of options to enable for a specific port.
58# ${OPTIONS_NAME}_UNSET - List of options to disable for a specific port.
59#
60# OPTIONS_SET_FORCE - List of options to enable for all ports.
61# OPTIONS_UNSET_FORCE - List of options to disable for all ports.
62# ${OPTIONS_NAME}_SET_FORCE - List of options to enable for a specific port.
63# ${OPTIONS_NAME}_UNSET_FORCE

 You will need to use OPTIONS_UNSET in make.conf, if you want to
disable X11 support in all ports:

OPTIONS_UNSET=X11

The message could have been clearer if it had said:

WITHOUT_X11 is deprecated use OPTIONS_UNSET+=X11 instead

Looks like WITHOUT_X11 and WITHOUT_NLS were commented out in r327582
of bsd.sanity.mk.  So you don't have to switch yet.

--
DISCLAIMER:

No electrons were maimed while sending this message. Only slightly bruised.