Berkeley DB 4.1

Michael Grimm trashcan at odo.in-berlin.de
Fri Sep 13 20:21:16 UTC 2013

On 13.09.2013, at 21:56, Pietro Cerutti <gahr at gahr.ch> wrote:
> On 13-set-2013, at 21:01, Michael Grimm <trashcan at odo.in-berlin.de> wrote:
>> On 12.09.2013, at 13:34, Ivan Voras <ivoras at freebsd.org> wrote:

>>> Yes, I've had WITH_BDB_VER?=48 in my standard /etc/make.conf
>>
>> Please excuse my ignorance, but I couldn't find the meaning of
>> that '?'. Does that stand for "*at least* version db48"? Or?
>
> Set the variable if it's not set already, so if a port specify
> its own preference via WITH_BDB_VER, it's respected.

Thanks to all who answered (including offlist).

If I would like to force all ports to become compiled with db48,
I would use "WITH_BDB_VER=48", instead. Understood.

But, is there a way to define something like "use at least db48"
and ignore whatever is specified by the port, except, if the port
specifies a version > db48.

Sorry, that might be a dumb question of mine, but I just want to
learn more about those knobs.

Regards,
Michael