v10 pkg question, maybe

Jeffrey Bouquet jeffreybouquet at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 7 21:14:19 UTC 2013

#/# find /var/db/pkg -type d -name "p5*" | xargs -J % find -type f -name "+CONTENTS" -exec grep -H "5.12" {} \; | grep pm | gtr -s \/ "\n" | grep p5 | sort | uniq | xargs -J % portmaster -d -B -P -i -g % && yell || yell

If one has gtr (gnu tr) installed, that may work if one has /var/db/pkg...

I had an issue where pkg_which turned up ? for all the perl files it usually worked on in /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl (etc)
to upgrade, say, 5.12.4 to 5.12.5... suddenly failing a bit into the 5.12.5 5.14.4 upgrade, meaning each port had to be
entered manually.

That long CLI pipe at the top is working handily. ( midst of it, a head -110 , head -140, head -170 so make its failures
manageble on restart)
And one inserts | grep -v tkdb | , for instance, for p5- ports which won't rebuild at the moment.
In fact that script is working way better than any other perl upgrade I recall doing that required an UPDATING course of action.

So I am wondering it someone who uses /pkg/ can craft an equivalent CLI, test it, and eventually it or its equivalant could be
placed either in the port, or in UPDATING so persons who have many ports could upgrade leisurely in a few hours rather than
kludgedly over many more hours than the few.

Thanks if anyone has the time...  and expertise and experience to look into the situation.

J. Bouquet