Explain staging

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Thu Oct 3 06:15:16 UTC 2013

On Wed, Oct 02, 2013 at 10:44:32PM -0500, Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
> I have not been following discussions recently.  There is this new thing
> called staging.  I don't seem able to find the original emails where
> this was introduced.
>
> Is there an email or a website which explains in some detail how staging
> works?  It is badly messing with a port I am developing.  I can fix it
> by setting NO_STAGE=yes, but I would like to get a better idea of why it
> is failing.  The failure is during the build process.
>
> Sorry for not following closer.

Not a problem.

Staging is basically installing everything into a staging area "${WRKSRC}/stage"
before messing up the system. What most of package system calls DESTDIR or
FAKEDIR.

From that stage a create can be directly created (even as a single user). or the
stage can be sync into the filesystem.

2 new targets can help you staging your ports: make check-orphans and make
makeplist.

You should have received 2 mails from me with some details about staging:
one called "[HEADSUP] Stage support for the ports tree"
and on called "Staging, packages and more" (very recent as of yesterday)

The following wiki page https://wiki.freebsd.org/ports/StageDir has been created
for tips and helps around staging.

Do not hesitate to add new entries to the wiki page, if you need any help
staging your ports I can provide reviews.

regards,
Bapt