shells/bash: Options slightly confusing

Michael Gmelin freebsd at grem.de
Thu May 30 13:10:03 UTC 2013

On Thu, 30 May 2013 14:08:29 +0200
John Marino <freebsdml at marino.st> wrote:

> On 5/30/2013 13:27, Michael Gmelin wrote:
> > I assume there are better ways to make this clear. It might even
> > make sense to have a basic distinction on the ports system level -
> > options that provide additional features vs. options that
> > change the (default) behavior of the port.
>
> Isn't this implicit in the option default selection?  In other words,
> the fact that it's pre-selected indicates the default behavior of the
> port, right?
>
> Even in the case of a dialog showing where it didn't before isn't a
> logical reason to think pre-selected options are changes in default
> behavior, at least not to me.

There's been some debate over the bash port earlier this year, plus it
has been converted to OptionsNg recently (AFAIK it had no options dialog
before), therefore my pessimism.

But regardless of default options and updating - if I installed bash
for the first time and seen an option labeled as "Use directory name
alone to cd into it" I would assume that bash will behave like this
after installation without further configuration - in contrast to
adding the ability to do that ("Support feature").

Maybe it's just me though :)

--
Michael Gmelin