FreeBSD's PHP port incomplete; missing ftp_ssl_connect function

Mark Felder feld at feld.me
Wed May 8 12:49:53 UTC 2013

On Wed, 08 May 2013 07:37:02 -0500, Alex Dupre <ale at freebsd.org> wrote:

> Actually you can get a ssl-enabled php5-ftp in a very simple way: build
> php5-ftp after php5-openssl.
> Said so, such behavior should be harmonized, probably you could get a
> ssl-enabled php5-ftp even without php5-openssl. I'll work on a patch.

That makes total sense but I never experimented further after seeing the
"official" PHP response saying you have to do it statically and seeing
what other Linux distros were doing.

However, this would still exclude cleanroom package building environments
like poudriere or tinderbox, correct? We're deploying our software to our
servers with pkgng packages and building with poudriere. I guess if you
make php5-ftp have a build option for SSL that pulls in php5-openssl as a
build dependency this might work, right?

I really hope this is a simpler solution than I thought!