Ports to packages question

Daniel Nebdal dnebdal at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 12:23:14 UTC 2013

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 1:14 PM, David Southwell <david at vizion2000.net> wrote:
> Hi
>
> On a system with a large number of ports installed and where some have been
> installed from binaries and some compiled what is the neatest way to remove
> the binary packages and replace them with local compilations.
>
> Thanks in advance
> David
>
> --
> David Southwell ARPS AFIAP
> Photographic Arts
> Trained & experienced competition judge, mentor, trainer, lecturer,
> Advanced digital techniques, international project photography

It might actually be to get a list of all installed packages,
deinstall everything, and then use portmaster to reinstall them.
Alternatively, you could use poudriere to build packages of everything
first, and then deinstall everything / reinstall from those locally
built packages. (I believe you need a ZFS pool for poudriere, though?)

The poudriere solution has the benefit that you can wait until you're
sure everything has compiled successfully before doing anything
dramatic, while still being sure everything really did get reinstalled
cleanly.

Exactly how to do the above depends - are you currently using pkgng?

--
Daniel Nebdal