fetchmail/sendmail: Domain of sender address does not exist

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Thu Mar 7 19:07:53 UTC 2013

(Since freebsd-ports is a public list, too, I am
copying to fetchmail-users mailing list for future reference.
Note that the fetchmail lists only permit subscribers to post.)

Am 07.03.2013 16:12, schrieb Anton Shterenlikht:

> I see e.g.:
>
> fetchmail: IMAP> A0021 FETCH 14 RFC822.HEADER
> fetchmail: IMAP< * 14 FETCH (RFC822.HEADER {4833}
> reading message mexas at epo.bris.ac.uk:14 of 14 (4833 header octets)
> fetchmail: SMTP> MAIL FROM:<fsde_1e2ciclos at mrsevangelineschafers.localdomain> BODY=8BITMIME SIZE=5930
> fetchmail: SMTP< 553 5.1.8 <fsde_1e2ciclos at mrsevangelineschafers.localdomain>... Domain of sender address fsde_1e2ciclos at mrsevangelineschafers.localdomain does not exist
> fetchmail: SMTP error: 553 5.1.8 <fsde_1e2ciclos at mrsevangelineschafers.localdomain>... Domain of sender address fsde_1e2ciclos at mrsevangelineschafers.localdomain does not exist
> fetchmail: SMTP> RSET
> fetchmail: SMTP< 250 2.0.0 Reset state
>
> fetchmail: IMAP< )
> fetchmail: IMAP< A0021 OK Completed (0.000 sec)
>
>  not flushed
>
> I'm also confused by this section of fetchmail
> man page:
>
> *quote*
> SMTP/ESMTP ERROR HANDLING
>        Besides the spam-blocking  described  above,  fetchmail  takes  special
>        actions on the following SMTP/ESMTP error responses
>
>        553 (invalid sending domain)
>             Delete the message from  the  server.   Don't  even  try  to  send
>             bounce-mail to the originator.
> *end quote*
>
> I do get error 553 here, but the emails are not
> deleted from the server. I tried running fetchmail
> dosens of times, but this email (and others, about 15
> in total), just wouldn't go away, and I cannot
> get those either.
>
> Maybe I should ask in fetchmail lists.

Indeed you should.

However, look for "softbounce" in the manual page, it is on by default
in fetchmail versions >= 6.3.10 and < 7.0.0 (not yet released) to avoid
mail loss.

--nosoftbounce on the command line, or "set no softbounce" early in the
.fetchmailrc will cause fetchmail to delete such messages (I should add
a pointer to that section).

I will add a pointer to these options to the quoted section, though, to
appear in v6.3.25.

HTH
Matthias