How to start wine?

Thomas Mueller mueller6724 at bellsouth.net
Sun Aug 25 18:12:20 UTC 2013

What are LD_LIBRARY_PATH and LD_32_LIBRARY_PATH supposed to be?  I see neither of these environment variables defined.

I tried to add /compat/i386... binary directories to the path, but that was insufficient.

I see

/lib
/libexec

/usr/lib
/usr/lib32
/usr/libdata
/usr/libexec

/usr/local/lib
/usr/local/libdata
/usr/local/libexec

with the FreeBSD i386 installation not mounted.

I have seen LD_LIBRARY_PATH before from building packages from source.

I thought maybe wineboot would set up the environment, but it looks like I have to set up the environment beforehand.

What is the difference between the various wine ports in $PORTSDIR/emulators?  I used wine-devel, newer but less tested than wine.

Upstream latest release is 1.6 as far as I can see.

Building X for FreeBSD i386 before wine would be necessary for running from i386 boot even if not runnable from amd64.

My i386 version was/is somewhat behind amd64 version.

Tom