pkg install -fRx perl failed

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Tue Nov 6 12:22:38 UTC 2012

On Tue, Nov 06, 2012 at 10:15:00AM +0000, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
> Following 20121104 entry in /usr/ports/UPDATING:
>
> # pkg install -fRx perl
> Updating repository catalogue
> pkg: ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/pkgng/repo.txz: File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
> #
>
> What's that about?
>
> Anton

Where did you get this url for the packagesite of pkgng?

It won't work, the UPDATING entry concerning pkgng is only for people being in
binary only mode. Which doesn't seems to be your case. It also concerns people
building there own repository using poudriere/tinderbox

Don't know what you are using, but you should imho run portmaster or portupgrade
to rebuild everything that depends on perl (sorry I don't remember the exact
syntax).

That said perl-after-update to be anyway be worked on so that it supports
natively pkgng, but given perl-after-upgrade is a hack (ugly in my views :))
don't know how complicated or easy it is to port it.

regards,
Bapt