PHP 5.4.0 : lang/php54

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Tue May 29 19:08:38 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 11:48:00AM -0700 I heard the voice of
Doug Barton, and lo! it spake thus:

> With respect to those involved, the lang/python port is a special
> kind of problem.

I agree.  IME, it causes more confusion than it solves.  I don't ever
bother having lang/python on any systems; I just install whichever
version (the latest, as a rule) I want, and if I ever find 'python'
itself installed I mutter under my breath and pkg_delete it as fast as
my fingers can fly.

> The whole concept of category/portname where there are multiple
> versions of portname is flawed. The DEFAULT_PORTNAME_VER mechanism
> works just fine, especially for dependencies.

The disadvantage though is that we need to grow and use b.p.m
infrastructure then for every port we start handling multiple versions
of.  We need the vars, the switches for defaults, we need a special
USE_* var (and maybe with multiple magic values for modular stuff like
PHP), ports need to all use that instead of just RUN_DEPENDS'ing on a
binary, blah blah blah.  That doesn't scale for crap.

    (not germane to this particular case of course, since that's
     already all there for PHP, but it makes for an ugly general
     solution   :|  )

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net