portdowngrade and meta ports

Lars Eighner portsuser at larseighner.com
Thu May 24 20:47:43 UTC 2012

On Thu, 24 May 2012, Chris Rees wrote:

> On 24 May 2012 19:43, Lars Eighner <portsuser at larseighner.com> wrote:
>>
>> I *must* revert xorg to a point at which changing ttys works.
>>
>> portdowngrade does not seem to work with metaports -- apparently it does not
>> revert the dependencies - which is what a metaport is all about. So when the
>> metaport is built, it may put it's own (old) version number on the port, but
>> actually has not changed anything.
>>
>> Any suggestion on how to get xorg back and how far back it was that
>> switching ttys worked.
>
> Easiest way is to just checkout an old ports tree.  This will get you
> one two hours before xorg-new was committed.
>
> Delete all your xorg- related ports:
>
> # pkg_delete -x xorg xf86-
>
> (and any other patterns I've forgotten)
>
> # <<EOF cat > supfile
>
> *default host=ftp.FreeBSD.org
> *default prefix=/tmp/beforenewxorg
> *default base=/tmp/beforenewxorg
> *default release=cvs delete use-rel-suffix
>
> ports-all date=2012.04.21.15.00.00

 	Bingo! That's what I was vaguely disremembering...

> EOF
>
> # csup supfile
> # mv /etc/make.conf /etc/make.conf.bak && echo
> "PORTSDIR=/tmp/beforenewxorg/ports"
> # cd /tmp/beforenewxorg/ports/
>
> Then reinstall the xorg port.  Make sure your portupgrade/portmaster
> tools ignore them for updating purposes-- you can safely rm -rf
> /tmp/beforenewxorg.
>
> Feel free to subsitute /tmp if you don't have enough space (you'll
> need ~5G at least to be safe, or redefine WRKDIRPREFIX).

Generally what I do in similar situations is mv the real ports tree until
after the carnage. I can count on myself to remember where I left it better
than I can remember to reset the environment, use the right flags, etc.

--
Lars Eighner
http://www.larseighner.com/index.html