[ GSOC ] Project: Parallelization in the ports collection

Garrett Cooper yanegomi at gmail.com
Tue May 22 14:39:10 UTC 2012

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 11:12 PM, Alexander Pronin <scher at freebsd.org> wrote:
> Hello Community.
>
> My name is Alexander Pronin. I am a GSOC student at The FreeBSD Project.
> My project is "Parallelization in the ports collection and pkgng utility"
> I have created wiki page where I described problems that I have to solve and approaches to solving this problems.
> ( http://wiki.freebsd.org/SummerOfCode2012/Parallelization_in_the_ports_collection )
> But some problems still seem to be unsolved.
>
> I would be grateful to discuss my project ideas. So any feedback is more that appreciated.

I'm doing similar things in my own area. Long story short, you're
going to run into other races -j > 1 that still need to be resolved
and ${WRKDIR} and all the variables built off of ${WRKDIR} are indeed
part of the problem (mkdir's in make targets are bad).

Splitting out the logic into its own separate file is a nice, clean
room approach, but it seems like there's going to be a fair amount of
duplication in bsd.port.mk and bsd.pkgng.mk . bsd.port.mk's logic
needs to be gutted out into a separate file (bsd.pkg_install.mk?), as
it's a lot of logic that's going to go away when pkg_install exits
stage left. This is similar to what pkgsrc does with their Mk files.

You bring up some interesting key points and there are some things
that I'm curious about working, but I'll have to digest things a bit
further before I provide more feedback.

Thanks,
-Garrett