WITH_GCC

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sun May 20 05:18:51 UTC 2012

On Wed, 16 May 2012, Mark Linimon wrote:

> On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 12:10:25AM +0300, Andriy Gapon wrote:
>> P.S.
>> Perhaps this information should also be somewhere in the Porter's Handbook.
>
> It is scattered around in it:
>
> WITH/WITHOUT:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/makefile-options.html#AEN2542
>
> USE:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/makefile-depend.html#USE-VARS
>
> Unfortunately WANT is only documented in bsd.port.mk itself.  Does
> anyone wish to take on the task of adding a tips-and-tricks entry
> about the difference between the 3 to the PH?
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk?annotate=1.708
> (line 285)

Okay, I'll bite.  However, I missed the earlier part of the thread and
the descriptions of the USE and WANT options weren't very clear to me.
Also I'm not sure where the text should go in the PH.  Other than that,
it's quite clear.  Maybe:

WITH_ and WITHOUT_ variables may be set by the port maintainer as
defaults, and modified by the end user as configuration options.
Example:

   WITHOUT_X11=	yes

USE_ variables are set by the port maintainer to define software on
which this port depends.  Example:

   USE_BZIP2=	yes

WANT_ variables are set by the port maintainer to prefer one version or
variation of a dependency over another.  Examples:

   WANT_OPENLDAP_VER=	23
   WANT_BDB_VER=		48
   WANT_PGSQL_VER=	90
   WANT_PHP_WEB=		yes