`No strings in PORTVERSION' (non-)limitation

Dmitry Marakasov amdmi3 at amdmi3.ru
Tue May 15 18:18:57 UTC 2012

* Chris Rees (utisoft at gmail.com) wrote:

> Thanks for following this up; since we discussed this I've been thinking
> though-  why put the git bit in anyway?  Does it have anything special
> apart from a date marker, and if not, won't a date suffice?

Date doesn't itself indicate that this is a VCS snapshot, it may
be upstream versioning scheme as well. `git' otoh is unambigous
indication that this is a snapshot, and even tells which VCS it is.
This is not limited to VCS snapshots - also alphas/betas/release
candidates. Finally, letter-specific version comparison scheme is
often needed, so 1.1 < 1.2.git123 or 1.2.beta2 or 1.2.rc2 < 1.2.

--
Dmitry Marakasov   .   55B5 0596 FF1E 8D84 5F56  9510 D35A 80DD F9D2 F77D
amdmi3 at amdmi3.ru  ..:  jabber: amdmi3 at jabber.ru    http://www.amdmi3.ru