Need a little help with a dynamic linking problem

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Mon May 7 21:16:45 UTC 2012

Sorry for my late reply... I was tied up on other projects.

A few days ago, in a galaxy not far away...
In message <20120426080649.GO2358 at deviant.kiev.zoral.com.ua>,
Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel at gmail.com> wrote:

>You need to pass --export-dynamic to the linker when linking binary that
>is supposed to export its own symbols.

Yes!  Thank you Konstantin.  Using that linker option... or more accurately it's
gcc equivalent (-rdynamic) did indeed clear up the problem I was having with
gthumb's (dynamic plug-in?) extension modules not seeing the symbols in the
main exectuable.

I'm not at all sure why this option wasn't already integrated into the relevant
Makefiles (for gthumb).  I will be looking into that further.

Regards,
rfg

P.S.  If it were me, I think I would have implemented that linker option the
other way around, i.e. made the default that symbols in the main executable
_are_ externally visible by default, and then I would have provided an option
to make them non-visible, when and if that is/was ever useful.

Sigh.  Oh well.  I wasn't there at the time.  It's just water under the bridge now.