Puppet port - Dashboard guide or config reference

Greg Larkin glarkin at FreeBSD.org
Wed May 2 14:24:08 UTC 2012

On 5/2/12 10:06 AM, Kaya Saman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've managed to get Puppet up and running on FreeBSD 8.2 which I
> built from ports.... however, I am having difficulty in finding
> documentation on how to get the Dashboard up and running.
>
> I am totally new to Puppet though not to FreeBSD, so I've managed
> to hack through quite a bit already and got basic functionality -
> my test client syncs up! woohoo :-)
>
> Can anyone give me a hand or a hint as to where a good Doc on the
> web gui is:? Unfortunately the puppetlabs site isn't much help in
> that respect (unless I missed it?).
>
> Regards, Kaya

Hello Kaya,

What a coincidence - I recently installed Puppet Dashboard on a
FreeBSD machine here as part of a Puppet deployment, and I have an
item on my list to add it to the ports tree in the near future.  I
used the following link to help me get it running:
http://docs.puppetlabs.com/dashboard/manual/1.2/index.html

It was reasonably difficult for a non-Ruby-fluent person like me to
get the dashboard running, though.  I had a lot of problems with the
Ruby bits packaged with the dashboard ("vendors" directory)
conflicting with ports I already had installed, and I eventually
manually installed some specific versions of required gems.  I hope
there's a way to use the ports tree to install the correct
dependencies, and I'll figure that out as I get into the port development.

If you want to exchange tips, ideas, roadblocks, etc. for implementing
Puppet scripts on FreeBSD, I would be happy to do that.  We already
ran into one tricky problem:

- - Spamassassin creates a virtual package when it updates its rules.
Puppet can't deal with that because the package has no origin.  We
eventually figured out that we need to invoke the sa-compile script
like so to prevent the package creation: env DISABLE_BSDPAN=1 sa-compile

Hope that helps,
Greg
- --
Greg Larkin