FAQ on PORTREVISION bump?

Michael Scheidell scheidell at FreeBSD.org
Wed Mar 28 18:06:59 UTC 2012

On 3/28/12 1:06 PM, Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
> On 03/28/12 16:28, Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
>> But, for example, it seems to me that PORTREVISION should NOT be bumped
>> if a LIB_DEPENDS changes, and it is not a major library revision change.
>>   For example, in this case the portmaster program reinstalls the library
>> only, and changes the +CONTENTS and +REQUIRED_BY of the various
>> installed packages appropriately.  And the program will still work just
>> fine.  So PORTREVISION should not be bumped.
> I'm fairly sure thats exactly backwards.  I believe you're talking about
> our 'Chase sh lib version bump' commits which most definitely require a
> bump even if the major version doesn't change, b/c the old packages will
> reference the old library.
>
> Take devel/apr-1 for example.
So, basically, you do enough pr's, you will bump portrevision and
someone will complain, and you will skip bumping portrevision and
someone will complain :-)

10 programmers, 15 opinions.

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
 >*| * SECNAP Network Security Corporation
d: +1.561.948.2259
w: http://people.freebsd.org/~scheidell