FAQ on PORTREVISION bump?

Stephen Montgomery-Smith stephen at missouri.edu
Wed Mar 28 16:52:41 UTC 2012

On 03/28/2012 11:13 AM, Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
> PORTREVISION is historically bumped when you change the resultant
> package under the default OPTIONS.  Basically if you cause the package
> to be rebuilt on pointyhat then you need to bump it.

I was going to say the same thing.  But then I thought: this will cause
PORTREVISION to be bumped anytime a RUN_DEPENDS or LIB_DEPENDS is
updated (because the package will change in +CONTENTS).

But, for example, it seems to me that PORTREVISION should NOT be bumped
if a LIB_DEPENDS changes, and it is not a major library revision change.
  For example, in this case the portmaster program reinstalls the
library only, and changes the +CONTENTS and +REQUIRED_BY of the various
installed packages appropriately.  And the program will still work just
fine.  So PORTREVISION should not be bumped.