x11/slim env data gets lost

Steve Frowly sfrwly at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 26 16:24:27 UTC 2012

Hi

I started using x11/slim a week ago and I must say I love it. One thing I noticed is that some environment variables don't get set which I normally have when I login at the console. To analyze the problem I run:

# logging in via syscons

$ env | sort > normal-login

# logging in via slim and then invoking an xterm
$ env | sort > slim-login

A diff showed the following difference:

-PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/home/stvy/bin:/home/stvy/bin:/home/stvy/bin
+PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/home/stvy/bin

-SHLVL=2
+SHLVL=1

-XTERM_LOCALE=en_US.UTF-8
+XTERM_LOCALE=C

-FTP_PASSIVE_MODE=YES

Does anyone have an idea what's going wrong? I noticed that FTP_PASSIVE_MODE gets set in /etc/login.conf.

It's as if slim does not load /etc/login.conf

Thanks you for your help.

--

Steve