Where are conventions like -devel ports documented?

Gerald Pfeifer gerald at pfeifer.com
Sun Mar 25 20:25:05 UTC 2012

Perhaps I am missing the obvious and will be rewarded with
embarrassement, but where are conventions like the use and
naming of -devel ports described?

I would have expected this to be covered in
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/book.html
but -- it is not.

(If this is an omission, can someone more closely involved than
I have been so far donate a paragraph or two?)

Gerald

PS: I am thinking to split the existing emulators/wine port into
two, the regular one (tracking releases of Wine) and a -devel port
that tracks the bi-weekly snapshots that will lead to the next
release in a year or two.  Somehow I would prefer something like
wine-stable / wine instead of wine / wine-devel, but the latter is
more in line with how we are doing things, right?