_DEPENDS+= and make index speed

Michael Scheidell michael.scheidell at secnap.com
Sun Mar 25 16:22:53 UTC 2012

Maybe it is because the last two prs in a row had it and that made me notice, or maybe I am spending more time looking over Makefile, but I have seen a couple of ports with BUILD_DEPENDS+= in cases where it was not needed.

Wasn't a master or slave port. Was not wrapped in a .ifdef.  port had no options to select or not.

I don't think it  hurts anything but if you have a bunch of ports doing this, doesn't it have to slow down make index? The extra check for, reassign and cat an undefined var has to take more cpu than a strict assign, right or am I just nitpicking?

Nothing I think we need to go on the hunt for or publicly  but is it something that committers and ports maintainers should just fix? Right?

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO