databases/mariadb -- should we have several versions?

Mark Felder feld at feld.me
Wed Mar 7 22:59:29 UTC 2012

On Wed, 07 Mar 2012 16:48:02 -0600, Philip M. Gollucci
<pgollucci at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 03/07/12 22:03, Mark Felder wrote:
>> How does the community feel about having multiple mariadb ports like our
>> current mysql ports? It would be nice to have mariadb53-{client-server}
>> and mariadb55-{client|server} as well, in my opinion.
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/164072
>
> Something similiar with another letter could be used like 'm' unless of
> course mysql,percona,& maria will never share version numbers.

MariaDB doesn't exactly have corresponding version numbers.

MariaDB -> MySQL
5.1 == 5.1
5.2 == 5.1 + MariaDB extras
5.3 == 5.1 + MariaDB extras + MySQL 6.0GA (unreleased) backports
5.5 == 5.5 + ????? (I assume built off previous work, but 5.5 isn't GA for
MariaDB yet)

http://downloads.askmonty.org/mariadb/  (click the "What is MariaDB 5.x"
links)