portupgrade -> portmaster after freebsd-update

Kevin Oberman kob6558 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 17:28:20 UTC 2012

On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 9:04 AM, Kurt Jaeger <lists at opsec.eu> wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> What is the proper portmaster commands in relation to freebsd-update?
> [...]
>
> The portmaster man page lists the following list of commands in the
> EXAMPLES section:
>
>     Using portmaster to do a complete reinstallation of all your ports:
>           1. portmaster --list-origins > ~/installed-port-list
>           2. Update your ports tree
>           3. portmaster -ty --clean-distfiles
>           4. portmaster --check-port-dbdir
>           5. portmaster -Faf
>           6. pkg_delete -a
>           7. rm -rf /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg
>           8. Back up any files in /usr/local you wish to save,
>              such as configuration files in /usr/local/etc
>           9. Manually check /usr/local and /var/db/pkg
>              to make sure that they are really empty
>           10. Re-install portmaster
>           11. portmaster `cat ~/installed-port-list`

While this is the preferred procedure and I highly recommend it, it
does far more that the portupgrade procedure in the handbook. The man
page has a simpler (and more likely to leave old cruft lying around)
procedure, as well.
     Alternatively you could use portmaster -a -f -D to do an ``in place''
     update of your ports.  If that process is interrupted for any reason you
     can use portmaster -a -f -D -R to avoid rebuilding ports already rebuilt
     on previous runs.  However the first method (delete everything and rein-
     stall) is preferred.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558 at gmail.com