Fix nvidia-like ports, help needed

Konstantin Belousov kostikbel at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 19:21:59 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 02, 2012 at 11:10:06AM -0800, Freddie Cash wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 11:02 AM, Konstantin Belousov
> <kostikbel at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 02, 2012 at 10:54:46AM -0800, Freddie Cash wrote:
> >>
> >> Ah, but splitting the GL bits out into slave ports would fix that.  :)
> >
> > No, it moves the moment of problem from mesa/nvidia update to mesa-libGL
> > and nvidia-libGL update. And, libGl.so.1 from Mesa is already in the
> > separate port, FWIW.
>
> How?  Unless the ports include the creation of the symlink (which they
> shouldn't), then there is no problem anymore.
>
> You install nvidia-gl port, you get libGL-nvidia.so installed.
So nvidia-something port needs to install libGL-nvidia.so.1, and
not libGL.so.1.

> You install mesa-gl port, you get libGL-mesa.so installed.
>
> You run the "alternatives" script to create the symlink (or manually
> create it, or tweak a knob somewhere to create it), and then never
> touch it again.
>
> Update nvidia-gl port, only libGL-nvidia.so gets updated.  The symlink
> doesn't change.
>
> Update mesa-gl port, only libGL-mesa.so gets updated.  The symlink
> doesn't change.
>
> Where's the problem?
Should I repeat what I said already, or can I just point to my other
message ?

The renames of the libGL.so inside the packages are orthohonal to
package splits. The issue is that libGL.so.1 installed by both packages
(graphics/libGL and x11/nvidia-driver). And not that the nvidia-driver
contains some other stuff.