Port system "problems"

perryh at pluto.rain.com perryh at pluto.rain.com
Wed Jun 27 07:20:58 UTC 2012

Baptiste Daroussin <bapt at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 12:22:28AM +0200, Florent Peterschmitt
> wrote:
> > 2. Why do we have to put WITH_NEW_XORG in /etc/make.conf to
> > get it ? Why not put this var in a port configuration file
> > which will be read by all ports needing this var ?
>
> Because this is not that easy, do you have a technical way to
> propose?

It would be almost trivial to move ports configuration in general
out of a file that is located in (and thus arguably belongs to) the
base, into one that is clearly related to ports.  Just add logic
something like this to /etc/make.conf:

  if { exists /usr/local/etc/make.conf && building a port }
    include /usr/local/etc/make.conf
  endif

and put ports configuration in /usr/local/etc/make.conf