Port system "problems"

Peter Jeremy peter at rulingia.com
Tue Jun 26 21:10:27 UTC 2012

On 2012-Jun-26 20:50:48 +0200, Marcus von Appen <mva at freebsd.org> wrote:
>Archlinux does provide complete packages, which makes perfect sense for
>me. I still do not see any reason or argument on why we would need
>sub-packages.

The most obvious reasons are the compiler ports.  If I compile
something (eg mplayer - which really wants gcc46) with gcc46 then the
resultant executable has dependencies on support libraries supplied by
gcc46 (eg lib/gcc46/libgcc_s.so.1).  Currently, if I make a package of
mplayer and try to install it on another system, then in order to
satisfy the (~420KB) dependency on lib/gcc46/libgcc_s.so.1, it pulls
is gcc46, which pulls in devel/binutils, math/gmp, math/mpfr and
math/mpc - about 120MB.  And if I'd selected gcj when I built gcc46
then the total would be about 300MB.  This _is_ an issue when I'm
installing into the fairly small SSD on my netbook.

--
Peter Jeremy