NOPORTDOCS and NOPORTEXAMPLES

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at freebsd.org
Mon Jun 11 14:26:45 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 08:17:08AM -0600, Warren Block wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jun 2012, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
>
> >> The logic has probably gotten twisted around, and it's been long enough
> >> since I did this that I don't recall the situation.  I think it was just
> >> to prevent the options screen from appearing if NOPORTDOCS and
> >> NOPORTEXAMPLES were set.
> >>
> >> I don't see a way to do that without using the old versions of those
> >> variables.  The new ones have not been set until after
> >> bsd.port.options.mk is included, and by then the dialog has been shown.
> >
> > Do not put OPTIONS_DEFINE and you won't get a dialog UI but still can test
> > PORT_OPTIONS:MEXAMPLES and PORT_OPTIONS:MDOCS
>
> The original:
>
> .if !defined(NOPORTDOCS)
> OPTIONS+=       REFDOCS "Install the reference documents" on
> .endif
> .if !defined(NOPORTEXAMPLES)
> OPTIONS+=       EXAMPLES "Install the example code" on
> .endif
>
> .include <bsd.port.options.mk>
>
> So if the user has set NOPORTDOCS in make.conf, that option does not
> appear in the dialog.  Likewise with NOPORTEXAMPLES, and if both are
> set, the dialog does not appear at all.
>
> If either docs or examples are allowed, the user gets the chance to turn
> them off for this port.

While I understand it is not consistent and doesn't make much sense. It had
sense at the time of the old framework because the old framework wasn't
consistent, ie: NOPORTDOCS in make.conf had no effect on the default dialog.

But now it is consistent NOPORTDOCS disable DOCS by default. but maybe the use
want to set it on for that particular package.

regards,
Bapt