math/ess CONFLICTS with devel/noweb, help with CONFLICTS= needed

Christopher J. Ruwe cjr at cruwe.de
Sat Jun 9 11:25:47 UTC 2012

On Fri, 08 Jun 2012 22:03:49 +0100
Matthew Seaman <m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk> wrote:

> On 08/06/2012 19:41, Christopher J. Ruwe wrote:
> > From
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/book.html#CONFLICTS
> > I gather that I should add something like
> >
> > CONFLICTS=    noweb
>
> Usually you'ld put something like:
>
> CONFLICTS=	noweb-[0-9]*
>
> just to avoid accidentally matching a package which happened to have
> the string 'noweb' in its name.  As it is, there is only devel/noweb
> that would match in the ports at the moment, but making that glob
> expression more specific is a good principle.
>
> > to the Makefile. Am I correct in my assumption on using CONFLICTS
> > instead of CONFLICTS_INSTALL and am I correct on the naming of
> > noweb?
>
> CONFLICTS_INSTALL means you can build your package in the presence of
> the conflicting package.  I'd guess that most of the conflicts in the
> ports tree are actually of this type: due to file name collisions in
> the installed packages.
>
> However, plain CONFLICTS is the popular choice for Makefiles, as it
> takes effect before you waste too much time building a package you
> can't install.
>
> In principle, CONFLICTS_INSTALL is frequently going to be the more
> "correct" choice.  In practice, it seems to be up to the port
> maintainer to choose which to specify, and most just use plain
> CONFLICTS.
>
> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Matthew

Thanks for your quick answer. Incidentally, I am at this moment also
preparing a maintainer update for a new version of math/ess. Should I
perpare two PRs, one for the CONFLICTS and one for the actual update or
is it permissable to pack these two into one?

Thanks, cheers,
--
Christopher J. Ruwe
TZ: GMT + 1h