Question about new options framework (regression?)

Ade Lovett ade at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jul 27 17:07:36 UTC 2012

> The use-case is the one which is the start of this thread. Olivier has a save
> configuration of zsh and want in one shot be able to activate the STATIC option
> which is not activate in his normal zsh.

Which requires a manually-specified (via command-line) configuration to
override whatever happens to be saved (in /var/db/ports).

Treat /etc/make.conf and /var/db/ports/<foo>/options the same.  Doesn't
really matter -- though keeping things the way they were in terms of the
order in which they're processed (particularly with the ?= constructs)
is important.

However, if I specify SOMEVAR=VALUE on the command line, either as an
environmental variable set, or a make construct, I absolutely expect it
to be honored.

cf:  cd /usr/src; make KERNCONF=WOOT buildkernel

-aDe