so, FreeBSD on VMware is dead, right?

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jan 25 11:06:03 UTC 2012

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012, Robert Watson wrote:

> I can't speak to your specific experience, but I do know that some VMWare
> folk contacted the FreeBSD release engineering team late in the 9.0 cycle to
> ask whether the ISO images appearing on our FTP site were the final versions
> they should use for qualification work or not.  We advised them to wait
> until the release announcement was out, just in case.

Oh, one other data point.  Last I checked, NetApp used VMWare as a
training/development platform with OnTap GX, which is FreeBSD-derived.  I
believe that may include shipping training VMs to customers, but you'd want to
check their web site and confirm that before passing that on.  I don't know if
NetApp has shipped with VMWare in products; if that is the case, you might not
want to bring up NetApp's work on bHyve :-).

Robert