"portmaster -o" behaves a little strangely (IMHO)

Kevin Oberman kob6558 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 16:57:16 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 7:14 AM, Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads at cox.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 09:21:05 -0500
> Michael Scheidell <scheidell at freebsd.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 1/24/12 9:19 AM, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
>> > # portmaster -CK -o lang/gcc46 gcc-4.4.7.20111108
>> >
>> what happens with:
>>
>> # portmaster -CK -o lang/gcc46 lang/gcc44
>>
>> ?
>
> Well, since gcc44 is no longer installed, I just tried:
>
> portmaster -o lang/gcc47 lang/gcc46
>
> And the actions that started were much more along the lines of what I
> was expecting.  The build of gcc47 is currently underway as I write
> this.
>
> So, it seems it's not a good idea to "mix and match" port origins with
> port names in the case of this particular option.  Could this be
> considered a "bug"?  It certainly seems to at least qualify as a
> "quirk", I would say.  :-)
>
> --
> Conrad J. Sabatier
> conrads at cox.net

I wanted to note is that you installed lang/gcc46, the development
version of the compiler. It gets updated very frequently and you may
want this, but it is probably better for most people to install
lang/gcc which is the stable version of gcc-4.6. It gets updated only
when a new gcc-4.6 version is released, so it does not get updated
nearly so often. Posts that depend on USE_FORTRAN or USE_GCC=4.6+ will
both be happy with lang/gcc, though they will pull in the development
version if no gcc-4.6 is installed.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558 at gmail.com